Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Hello once again. I'm back again for another update.

Taxes are done and on time.

Today I finished Janie's Got The Knack, Book Two, enough to send off to the editor.

Because of changes I made in Book One I had to re-write quite a bit of Two in order for the stories to flow. Plus, I had to start on the Book Three re-write, Janie's Got It Bad, because I place an excerpt in the back of each book. And it had to be what the reader expects to see in the beginning of Book Three, therefore, how I want it to stay (fingers crossed).

I will be happy when Janie Two gets published and ready for sale as I have a number of other stories that I'm anxious to get back to. I have learned a lot since I first starting writing Janie back in 2008. Between the editor's input and the LJWC critiques and guidance, I will have a lot of re-writing and changes to make in many of the drafts I have waiting.

I tell people I write women's fiction, mostly character-driven stories with a touch of humor. However, recently I had an idea come to me, which will be written in the first person and will be about a guy. He will become a ghost private investigator, literally a ghost. So, now what will I be able to tell people that I write? Just fiction?

In reality, I want my characters to be older women. There are not many books out there about older women characters; not counting the "make over" kind of books. Hooked is about a woman who is forty. That's a start.

The sad news (for me at least) is that I have several books cooking that are about women in the thirties. The good news is that I also have a few that are forties and up. The really good news is that the next story I'm attacking is about four elderly witches who are crime fighters (?). Got to get those juices stirred up so my fingers can do their thing.

On a long-suffering note, self-publishing has been a learning experience. I try to save money by doing much of it myself, so I upload, format, preview, edit, select book cover and fonts, order first proof, and edit some more before the final product. Then there's the marketing.

I've been to several book events in the last year, even sold a few of Hooked and Janie's Got A Job, and I have a few more events scheduled for June.

I also have a very busy personal schedule for most of April and May, which will of course, impede my writing schedule.

Til the next time, hope to see you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment